BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 16, 2008

Potty Training

So, I think Victoria is totally ready. She turned 2 at the end of March, which puts her at almost 27 months, which is the average age a child is ready. I infant trained her and she pooped on the potty everyday from age 4-12 months and once she could walk, she walked off when I put her on the potty. Needless to say, she is familiar with a potty since we have had it out in her line of sight since she was an infant. She loves being naked and takes everything off every chance she gets. Starting about 3 weeks ago, she would beg me to put a diaper on her when she had to pee. She used to just go on the floor, but her starting this made me realize that she was showing control by holding it until I got the diaper on. So last night I bought pullups for night time and on the go and started putting big girl underwear on her today and she hates them. She begs for a diaper. She takes her undies off every 2 mins. She got up at 8:30 and we started trying to go on the potty every 10-15 mins for 3 hours. At 11:30, I put a pullup on her and BAM, she peed in it immediately so much that I had to change her right away. So she is holding it in and won't go. GREAT! So, I am not sure what to do now. Do I just keep putting her in pullups for the next few weeks and try again? She starts crying everytime I say lets try to go potty now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My uneducated guess is that she isn't emotionally ready. I used to nanny for a little girl who would hold it when we started trying to potty train. She would end up holding her pee for like ten hours until she got her pull up on at nap or bedtime. It can end up making them sick :( We gave up and tried again about three months later and she did great. She had been showing all the "ready" signs the first time but just wouldn't do it. Anyway this is only based on that experience that I had. WHen she finally did train, she was like 33 months.

~Amber~ said...

Thanks Tara! I have heard they can get sick and get infections if they hold it in and I sure don't want that happening. I am in no hurry to have her trained. I just thought since its summer and I don't have to run around much with Maddy not in school, I would give it a try. I will try again in a few weeks and see. Thanks hun!

Deb said...

Becca seems ready in most ways too - she's excited and wants to sit on the potty and go all the time, but the few times I've put her in underwear, she doesn't keep it dry yet. I haven't been pushing it yet, but am figuring on working with her on it over the summer too - especially since Abby and Hannah will be gone a lot of the time and I can really focus on it with her. We'll see how it goes...

I hate potty training! :(

Sandra Carvalho said...

Eric never wanted the potty.Each time I've tried to use it,he screamed.So I gave up and bought a sit reducer for the toilet.He likes it better, but I still haven't manage to make him poop there...Oh well...

Kristi said...

I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound like she's ready for the independence aspect of it yet. There are two parts to potty training...the physical and the mental. Even if it is a novelty to use the potty, if they are not taking any responsibility for themselves and you are doing all the work, then it would probably be better to wait a little longer. I was big on waiting until they were doing the work instead of me, and the training wen much more smoothly and quickly.